Chocolate Cayenne Waffles with Rosy Chocolate Drizzle
Spicy and warm, these chocolate waffles are made with oats and raw cacao powder with just a pinch of cayenne. The prep for these waffles takes only a couple of minutes as you throw all the ingredients in the blender (no dirty bowl and you can still lick the spatula)! Overall, they are vegan, plant-based, and gluten-free. But there is no compromise on the taste! Enjoy!
For rosewater, I like to use either of these two options: Essence of Rose Petals by North American Herb & Spice or Rosewater by Cortas (you can usually find these in ethnic food supply stores). You can also make your own rosewater which I'll be talking about in a couple of days!
Chocolate Cayenne Waffles (makes 4 smaller waffles)
1 cup milk of choice (I love Elmhurst almond milk because it's free of any gums)
1/4 cup maple syrup other liquid sweetener
1/4 cup scant oil of your choice (avocado, coconut, etc.) *
2 cups oats (I used certified gluten-free Bakery of Main)
1/2 cup raw cacao powder (I use this brand)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne (start with 1/8 and go up from there)
2 TB essence of rose
*I prefer to add enough oil to the recipe then you don't need to oil your waffle pan. I've found it actually ruins the pan quicker to oil it.
1. Blend all ingredients in a blender. (Alternatively if you don't have a high-speed blender, grind oats in food processor and add liquids in a bowl).
2. Pour in waffle maker. These take longer to cook than other waffles - about 4-5 minutes, depending on the waffle maker. If they don't easily come off waffle maker, let them cook a little longer.
3. Top with drizzle or other preferred toppings and enjoy!
Rosy Chocolate Drizzle
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1-2 TB almond milk
Splash rosewater (to taste) or essence of rose petals
1. Microwave chocolate and almond milk for 20-25 second. Add rosewater to taste.
2. Stir quickly until smooth.
3. Drizzle with fork or pour into small sandwich bag and make a small incision at corner to drizzle.
Some of my favorite kitchen tools for these waffles:
This long-handled, skinny spatula by Di Oro perfect for reaching into that vita-mix.
For other rose recipes try, Rose Petal Lemonade, Rose Petal Honey, Rosy London Fog, or come back in the next couple of days for more recipes! If you're looking for more waffle recipes, try my Unbelievable Blender Waffles!
This blog post contains affiliate links. Buying through these links may benefit me and this blog at no cost to you.